Wednesday 19 September 2012

The Hardware Sociéte

I had been looking forward to visiting The Hardware Sociéte all week after reading lots of good reviews. So a couple of friends from work and I decided to check it out and see what the fuss was all about.





We got there around midday and there were plenty of tables available (which was a surprise because I've heard it's pretty hard to get a seat around lunchtime). The cafe is french inspired and has a cute yellow and white theme going on. The attention to detail is amazing and goes right down to the cute pastel coloured knitted tea cosies!










I was under the impression that their breakfast menu was all day, but as soon as we sat down I was told the lunch menu started at 12. Boo! I really wanted to try their famous baked eggs! Oh well, gives me an excuse to go again :)




So seeings that I couldn't order my eggies, I liked the sound of the chicken dish ($18). It sounded a bit fancy and I didn't know what "migas" was- but I thought you can't go THAT wrong with chicken...right?




Chicken with chorizo migas, tomato, parsley + spanish onion ensalada, preserved lemon alioli
I love that feeling when you see the waiter put your meal down in front of you and you know you've made the right decision. It was like 3 crunchy crumbed pieces of succulent chicken with big dollops of aioli. SO DAMN GOOD. No post purchase regret here!

Both of my friends order the mushroom pithiver ($14). It was kind of like a pie slash tart slash pastie. Delightful.

Porchini mushroom, asparagus, leek, parsley + chevre paste, rocket pithiver 

The other items in the cabinet looked yum scrum too
Nice coffee in cute pastel coloured cups
There is such a nice atmosphere at this café. It got very busy with city workers on their lunch break- but I would have waited ages for a table if I knew the food was this good.

The menu often changes and is one of those cafes you can never have been to enough. I will be certainly returning for breakfast soon to get my baked Eggssss!

The Hardware Sociéte
118-120 Hardware Street, Melbourne CBD