Wednesday 28 November 2012

Pope Joan

Up until early this year, I was completely oblivious to any cafes/restaurants/life around the Brunswick and Fitzroy area. It wasn't til I started working in Carlton that I began venturing into the unknown and discovering what I had been missing out on.

A good friend of mine lives on Rathdowne Street and ALWAYS knows of a cool new cafe or restaurant to visit around her neck of the woods. I had read a lot about Pope Joan, and today that's where we headed.


Apparently, Pope Joan was an intelligent medieval woman who disguised herself as man and became Pope. Bit of quirk for a cafe name but meh...what ever floats your boat.



Located in the not-so-busy part of Nicholson Street is where you'll find this place. It's quite isolated from everything else- you won't find any other cafes, shops etc- it's more of an industrial area and then BOOM...theres the cafe. The owners obviously knew what they were doing...but it certainly seems like an odd place to pop in a trendy eatery. The cafe is massive, with a huge outdoor garden area. They have even built a bar on the side (named the Bishop of Ostia) which serves drinks and nibbles later at night.




The bar (and sneaky me in the mirror oops)



The options on the menu had a ye old english trend going on, yet I was surprised not to see black pudding featured anywhere (which I wouldn't have eaten anyway if you paid me). I felt like a omelette so I ordered....the omelette.

Fetta omelette, herbs, green olive gremolata + corn bread ($17)
A bit steep for $17, and not an omelette I would travel across the city for, but still a good feed.


Mmm...donuts
So go visit Joan (or the Bishop of Ostia for a cheeky drink), have a seat out the back and breathe in all the indi-ness and chilled atmosphere Pope Joan has to offer (complete with vegie garden and deck chairs).

Pope Joan
77-79 Nicholson Street
East Brunswick


No comments:

Post a Comment