Sunday 21 October 2012

Spring

Although I have already written a post based on my trip to Brissy, I thought it was imperative I dedicated a whole one to a special restaurant I visited. Spring is a cafe/restaurant located in the heart of Brisbane CBD, and fortunately for me, right underneath my Dad's apartment. 






Not only is Spring a restaurant, it's also a cooking school. A little room on the side of the restaurant is kept for lesson bookings, and just a general area for the chefs to make their sweet little pastries and goodies.
Pink macarons being made
Even though we walked past Spring at least 5 times a day, we had never actually eaten there. It is only opened Monday-Friday, so it was decided that we had to go on Dad's lunch break :)




The menu is french-inspired and limited, with breakfast only being served untill 10:30am. This time we were too late for breakfast, although the menu looked inviting.


Some of the items on the lunch menu were exxy, but sounded delicious (braised beef cheek , Paris mash, cauliflower gratin $28). It's not often I would pay that much for a weekday lunch, and it seems like their clientele consisted of mainly businessmen on corporate lunches or unemployed rich trophy wives. But hey, I won't complain, seeings that I didn't have to pay...cheers Dad.


I decided to go with the soup of the day, which was pea soup with seared scallop & crispy leak ($12). Lucky I ordered a side of sourdough bread ($8) because the soup came bread-less (gimme sum carbs).

Pea soup with seared scallop and crispy leek ($12)
I know what you're thinking. Soup's not even a meal. Who orders soup right? Well before you judge, let me say that this soup was rich, thick and amazing. I love peas, and the combination of peas and scallop is a winner. I would go as far to say I would order it again. Yep. You heard me.

Freshly baked sourdough bread with "cultured" butter ($8). #howcanbutterbecultured
Dad ordered the Rueben sandwich, with pastrami, gruyere, sauerkraut and pickles ($12.50)


Mum ordered the steak sandwich, with came with a side of shoestring fries ($18)

Steak sandwich with shoestring fries ($18)
Wine time for mum
Parisian style decor. And a hanging head.
Naice coffee
Having walked around the city many times, I still believe this is the best looking cafe in the CBD. And now that I've tried the food, I seriously think it was top notch, fine dining kinda shit. Very nice staff, very very nice food. A must try if you're ever up here. Wheeere else, wheeeere else, where else but Queenslaaand.

Spring 
26 Felix Street, Brisbane

Spring