Monday 10 December 2012

Las Chicas

The only time I ever venture over to Balaclava is for food. There is really no other reason for me to travel this far across town....unless I am rewarded for my efforts with a trip to somewhere like Las Chicas.




I have been to Las Chicas at least four times now, and every visit it manages to take me an unreasonable amount of time to choose my meal. There is just SO much on the menu. There's about three different flavoured porridges and french toast's, tons of bagel flavours, a whole section dedicated to vegetarian options and a big load of stuff for the meat lovers....(and thats ONLY the breakfast menu).
The lunch menu offers plenty of sandwich and salad options too.



Now, prior to this visit I had ordered the baked bean breaky- house baked pumpkin and polenta loaf topped with baked beans, spinach & a poached egg ($16.50). I was so tempted to order this again...it was pretty much my ideal breakfast. Las Chicas also offers half servings- so you can imagine how big the meals actually are. Heres a little sneak peak of what the baked bean breaky looks like...


Anyway, today I decided I felt like something eggy and went for the breakfast bruschetta- sourdough, folded eggs, spinach, basil pesto & pine nuts ($14). I couldn't believe the size of this whopper. The eggs were dreamy creamy and perfectly cooked- and also went so well with the rich pesto.

Breakfast bruschetta ($14)
My lovely gal pal ordered the breakfast burrito ($17). I suffered a little bit of food envy and died a little inside when her dish arrived. Creamy scrambled eggs, extra crispy bacon, aioli and rocket, wrapped in a soft tortilla bread & topped with avocado, tomato & coriander salsa. I would do bad, bad things to have this dish sitting in front of me right now. Luckily for me she isn't a fan of bacon, so piggy little me got to eat it all :)

Breakfast Burrito ($17)
Just a cheeky champagne for brunch. It would be rude not to.

I always make the mistake of eating too much and being too full to order from the sweet cabinet afterwards... 
This place is a steal. You absolutely get your pennies worth, and I can guarantee the breakfast feeds will keep you satisfied until the late arvo. If you cbf driving all the way here- the cafe is conveniently located underneath the Balaclava train station. You can be sure I'll be coming back and trying more of the 1000 options on the menu...

Las Chicas,
203 Carlisle Street, Balaclava

No comments:

Post a Comment