Friday 5 October 2012

Pillar of Salt

This is one place I had been wanting to go for a feed, but somehow always ended up ordering just coffee. Well not today my friends. 'Twas a sunny Wednesday morning in Richmond when I first had breakfast at Pillar of Salt.





A met up with a good friend whom I travelled around parts of South America with. It wasn't until we had a look at the menu that she announced that she "didn't like anything on the menu" and that she "didn't even like this place that much". Well. Ya big dickhead, you could have told me that before I suggested we go there and you willingly accepted. Love yoooou.

Lots of breaky goodies (I thought). The lunch menu looked good too.
Regardless of her hatred towards the menu, she did infact order eggs. She loves eggs.

Poached eggs on sourdough with red wine marinated mushrooms & avocado + persian fetta puree
I was tossing up between: 1) organic porridge with sticky apple and date compote & a quinoa flake crumble ($12) (I swear I will order porridge someday),  2) the red chilli scrambled eggs with julienne bacon, spring onion, parsley and a hint of parmesan on toast ($16.50) or 3) homemade smokey beans with avocado and persian fetta puree, a poached egg, parsley dressing + shaved parmesan ($16.50). After confirmation from my buddy that the red chilli scrambled eggs were a fail, I went with the schmokey beans.

Beans beans good for the heart
The bread was still toasty underneath and the beans were rich and tomato-ey. Avocado and egg are always a good marriage and the fetta mixed in made it more cheeeesy. A very filling but delicious breakfast dish.

At the front counter there was even more to choose from. The rolls were HUGE- one with slow cooked lamb in an olive baguette took my fancy, as did the chicken schnitzel wrap (there is something wrong with people who don't like schnitzel).



A huge variety of cakes and sweets to choose from
Look at that sky!
A great little cafe to visit. Probably best to come on a weekday- word on the street is that it's loco on a weekend.

Pillar of Salt
541 Church Street, Richmond