Monday 1 October 2012

Axil Coffee Roasters

Last week a friend and I met for breakfast at Axil. I had been once before, but had always wanted to try more of the menu. This place is huge and industrial looking, with those funky hanging light bulbs we seem to see so often in the Melbourne cafe scene these days.


The breakfast menu offering isn't extensive, but you'll find the usual suspects- baked eggs, bircher muesli, banana bread, corn and haloumi fritters, french toast & smashed avocado. 


The waitress informed us of the specials- which included some kind of french toast, as well as a baked egg dish with mushroom ragu and taleggio. I thought I'd give the baked eggs a whirl. However, once the dish came out, I realised the waitress wrote down my order as the regular baked eggs found on the menu, not the special ones. But I'm a whimp and am not that type of person who sends food back...so I sat and ate the eggs I didn't actually order...


                                        
Spicy baked eggs w/goats cheese feta, dukkah and pepperonata sauce w/ a side of toast ($16.50)


And lemmme tell ya. They were amazing! I'm not a lover of spicy food, but this wasn't too intense and the goats cheese fetta + the eggs on toast was just a perfect combo. Thank you waitress for stuffing up my order :)

My friend ordered the corn and haloumi fritters with avocado, spinach, poached egg and salsa rosso ($17).


Corn + haloumi fritters with avocado, spinach, poached egg and salsa rosso ($17)

Yeah, you can't really see the fritters but they are nestled beneath the giant mountain of salsa. They might have gone a little OTT with the salsa, and the egg on top was a little unnecessary as it was such a filling dish- however the fritters were so tasty!


 
Soy chai latte
Sandwich cabinet
I also noticed they had a variety of little treasures at the counter. The foccacias and sandwiches sounded very exotic and gourmet (slow roasted lamb shoulder...)

Blueberry and lime macaron, please get in my belly
I was drooling over the sweets. A friend has tried the apple and rhubarb crumble tart and said it was a winner.
More sweeties. Check out the brownie. Anything that combines chocolate and peanut butter can't fail (it just can't)

Mini bacon and egg burgers! 
The also roast their own coffee and sell their own merch.
A great place that has a bit to offer any type of customer. You like eggs? They got em. You like smoked trout and scrambled egg wraps? Guess what, they have that too. All at a very good price.



Axil Coffee Roasters
322 Burwood Road, Hawthorn

Axil Coffee Roasters