Monday 15 October 2012

Demitri's Feast

I'm a firm believer in the idea that no one cooks meat like the Greek's do. Being an avid meat lover, I always look forward to heading out to a Greek restaurant for dinner, knowing that a big mixed grill plate of various types of chicken and lamb awaits me. It never occurred to me that this hearty cuisine could be consumed for breakfast or lunch...that was until I headed to Dimitri's Feast.




Nestled amongst the hustle and bustle of Swan Street lies this tiny little Greek eatery. The place is very cosy, with only a couple of tables placed inside, but features a courtyard out the back which often opens at the beginning of the lunch rush. 



Homemade granola
Okay, so it wasn't as if I was ordering a meat platter for breakfast. But I had never really tried anything on the lighter and lunchy-er (?) side of the Greek cuisine. Even though I have already been twice for both lunch and breakfast, the interesting and creative Greek inspired menu never ceases to amaze me.



Today I went for the scrambled eggies. Now I make a pretty mean plate of scrambled eggs, and very rarely do I order them out. So I definitely had my judgmental shoes on. These ones came with goat feta on toast, confit tomatoes & sauteed spinach ($17.50).

Scrambled eggs w. goat feta on toast, confit tomatoes & sauteed spinach ($17.50)
Although I couldn't finish the 8 eggs they probably scrambled, I made a decent dint, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The eggs were speckled with bits of feta which gave a nice salty surprise, and the tomatoes were sweet and juicy. Somehow the bread underneath my egg mountain remained toasty and hard which was a bonus. #soggybreadisfkd.

My lovely friend had also visited Dimitri's before, and on her last visit tried the semolina pancakes. She had been instantly swayed and couldn't resist ordering them again.

Semolina pancakes w. sweet yoghurt, rose jam, pistachios & orange blossom syrup ($15)
Who had even heard of semolina pancakes anyway? I hadn't thats fo sho. But imagine this. Imagine the BEST crumpets you have ever eaten. Yep. Well this was close. They were crunchy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. Fill me up with these over regular pancakes any day. The pistachios gave that nice crunch and the orange blossom syrup that extra gooey sweetness (which possibly wasn't even needed but was mopped up regardless). I thought the yoghurt might be that tart Greek yoghurt that hippies and health freaks love but thankfully it was creamy and sweet.

Lots of homemade Greek sweets. Surely made by someones Yia Yia...
No wonder this place has won so many awards. How many other places do you know that provide modern Greek cuisine for breakfast and lunch? Not many my friend. The menu features SO many dishes you wouldn't find at any other brunch joint. Thanks for the feast Demitri. Oooooopa!



Demitri's Feast 
141 Swan Street, Richmond

Demitri's Feast